No Exit was a mind boggling read. We all know that nothing is certain after death and I believe that Jean-Paul Sartre has created some worthy food for thought. I think that it is pretty amazing how people’s creativity can lead them to originate a new view on life after death. After reading Sartre’s perspective of Hell, I can see his way as a way that is a lot more reasonable than devils and physical torture. In my opinion, a mental Hell is far worse than a physical Hell because over time you can get used to the pain but no one can ever escape their thoughts.
One of his greatest points in this play is that, “Hell is other people.” This easily falls under the inescapable torture of the mind. I also found it very interesting that for Estelle, Garcin and Ines their Hell was beautifully personalized. And by beautifully personalized I mean it simply can not get any worse for them. I truly commend Sartre for his contrasting view of Hell, which is a topic I have never really given much thought about. Regardless of if Hell is psychological or physical, there is no real escape from the inevitable torture which is a point that he really brought home. I LOVED IT!!
No comments:
Post a Comment